Are You a Canadian Bride? Here’s How to Change Your Name

Canadian bride drinking beer. Photo by Ralph Heinze Photography

While you are planning your wedding you will have to decide whether or not to change your last name – unless of course you live in Quebec, where you legally retain your maiden name.

For some brides, this can be a difficult decision. After all, you have numerous options (you can keep your last name, hyphenate your last name to include his, take his last name, or create a new one, combining both names), and it can be difficult to chose which one is right for you.

Some brides take their husband’s name socially, but use their maiden name professionally. Others use a hyphenated name professionally, but take their spouse’s name socially.

If you decide to take your husband’s name, you can legally use it immediately (except in Quebec). To change your documents, (health card, social insurance card, driver’s license) you’ll need to contact each government agency as soon as possible after your marriage. There is no fee for a specified amount of time (in Ontario, it’s 90 days). After that, it can get costly.

Here is a list of other documents that you may also need to change:

Vehicle registration
Auto insurance
Credit cards
Bank accounts
Doctor/dental records
Employee records
Life insurance policy
Library card
Property title
Voter registration
Business cards

If you want to simplify the process, you can order a name change kit.

Rena Anderson, owner of What’s in a Name, offers name change kits to make life easier for brides not keeping their maiden names.

Anderson, who lives in Mississauga, started the business after spending five hours trying to change her health card.

“When I got home that day, I figured there had to be somebody who knew what to do,” she said. “There were lots of kits in the U.S. but nothing in Canada. I had to learn to change each card myself.”

Her company not only offers name change kits, but also personal service: She’ll even stand in line for busy brides.

Photo: Ralph Heinze Photography

Pin It
2 Comments  |  Filed Under: Small Wedding Ideas, Wedding Planning

Leave a Comment


Comment Policy:

We love your comments, but we like to keep conversations constructive. Anything that we deem as mean-spirited, rude or downright nasty will not be tolerated.

If you are a business owner or wedding blogger, please use your real name not your business name or blog title. Comments are not the right place to advertise your business. If you would like to advertise, please click here for our advertising options.


  1. Posted by Joan Dogget on June 26th, 2009 at 10:02pm

    I really wanted to take my husband's surname but was born in Quebec. We have been living in Ontario for years so it was great to be able to update my driver's licence and accounts into my husband's name. It seems to be only if we move back to Quebec we might have a stuggle, but this is the name I have been using for 2 years now and smooth sailing so far!
    By the way, the link to whats in a name is blocked by google. I found another great site that sells name change kits specifically for Canada:
    Easy Name Change
  2. Posted by Lana on April 27th, 2010 at 9:28am

    My grandmother- who had been using my Grandpa's last name for 50 YEARS was going to be forced to switch back to her maiden name. They were in the process of moving to Ontario- so she didn't- but they WILL force you to switch back unless you've completed a legal name change.
  Older Post
Wedding E-cards: Irreverent & Quirky
Newer Post  
Win the Love Queen: OWOH Giveaway
Want to tap into more than 500,000 unique visitors per month? Advertise with us!
  • Search
  • Categories
  • Archives
  • Intimate Weddings at Hyatt Regency Indian Wells CA
  • DIY Flowers

  • Dessy Group Bridesmaid
Find Intimate Weddings on Pinterest